What is a text logo?
A text logo is usually called wordmark logo or sometimes simply just wordmark. As the name implies, it is a logo that is comprised of text without a symbol or an icon.
With a new rise of minimalism as a lifestyle and design trend in 2014, text logos have become more popular in recent years. While the architecture, design, fashion and beauty industries are known for using wordmark or text logos, companies with a focus on digital now often opt in for a simple text logo as well.
A reason for that is that in the early days, finding product-market fit is the most important thing to focus on as a startup founder. A new brand needs to communicate professionalism—which is what often gets lost when startups try to create complex branding on their own. Many startup founders embrace what we call “black dress” design: You’re not trying to create revolutionary brand design, you’re aiming for something simple and timeless that allows a company to pivot. A text logo provides more flexibility for a brand to develop.
3 Simple Steps to a Modern Text Logo Using an Online Logo Maker
Step 1. – Type and Select: On this page, scroll almost all the way to the top and type in your company name or the name that should appear on your text logo. From the logo previews that will show up once you type a word, select one text logo that feels closest related to your brand. This logo will be the baseline for your design.
Step 2. – Edit Design: Click on one of the text logo designs for it to open up within the Mojomox logo maker app (text editor logo) page. Next to the main editing workspace, you can change the following design settings: case (lowercase, title case, or uppercase), typeface (we currently offer 10 modern sans and 5 serif typefaces), custom weight styles (from Thin to Black) and tracking (spacing between the letters).
You can also mix and match letters from other available fonts of the same family by clicking on a letter in the main workspace. Additionally, also in the right-hand sidebar, scroll down to Colors and pick from the presets or select your own.
Step 3. – Download Text Logo: At the bottom of the logo maker app page, your logo gets updated as you design. You’ll find the text logo and an icon version in all three colors you’ve selected in your color palette. From there, you can save your logo as an image file in a png format on a transparent background.
The Role of Brand Strategy When Creating a Text Logo
Creating a logo design that stands out in a specific market segment is based on one thing that big brands build on but startups don’t talk about enough: Successful logos, may they be text logos or logos with symbols, are rooted in brand strategy—the way you’d like to position a brand.
Brand positioning is usually a longer process that takes competitors into account but a quick way to include brand positioning into your design is the following one:
1. Settle on one word that you’d want your customers to think when they think of your brand (this is also known as “positioning”). And
2. Transfer that one word metaphorically into your design—that’ll give your logo and color choice meaning.
Text Logo Maker Recap: Analyze, Design, Test
1. Think strategically: What’s your one-word-positioning? If the word were a word, what shape does that word have? Is the shape round—like community, holistic, or a cycle? Is it a square—like a container, a platform or a building block? Or is it a triangle—like an exchange, a pyramid or a sharp mind? What type of font resembles that shape best?
2. Design minimally: Especially when designing a custom text logo, more attention needs to be paid to the details. Within the text logo maker, you’ll find settings to change your design. Use every design setting meaningfully. Uppercase spelling gives authority and strength, lowercase spelling adds a casual feel, a thinner style feels more refined, a thicker weight is bolder and younger, tighter spacing between letters will make a logo feel more compact and united, and spaced-out letters will add lightness to the text logo design.
3. Test in your environment: Generate multiple versions of your text logo, adjust font weight and font spacing in the sidebar and upload the different versions to your website. See how it feels on a desktop computer, on a mobile phone and other applications you already have or know you’ll have in the future.
We set out to make a logo maker that creates the best text logos online. Please send us feedback on what works, what could be better, or if you run into bugs.